From:
Ken Kollman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Ken Kollman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2022 09:41:07 -0400
Call For Applications:

A mini-conference on subnational election data, Wednesday, September 14,
Montreal, Canada.

We are hosting a mini-conference (funded by the National Science
Foundation) on the collection, organization, dissemination, and research
use of subnational election data.  The focus is on research findings and
research infrastructure involving data on election outcomes, candidates,
and political parties, at subnational geographic levels such as
constituency; precinct; Admin 1, 2 and 3 unit; town; and village.

This mini-conference, which will be free and open to the public, will be
held Wednesday afternoon, September 14, 2022, the day before the formal
beginning of the annual meeting of the American Political Science
Association.  We will require all participants to preregister, and we
expect to have a virtual option.

We have funds to support a modest number of participants with funds from
the National Science Foundation.  Participants receiving compensation will
be expected to arrive in-person by noon on September 14.  The
mini-conference will run from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM.  Participants are
expected to arrive for a working lunch at noon, and then stay through a
working dinner.

The purposes of the mini-conference are twofold.  First, participants will
share theory and empirical findings from recent research work using such
data.  Second, participants will discuss and evaluate plans for new
research infrastructure for reporting and disseminating election results
from all countries holding elections.

To apply to present a paper or for funded participation, please follow the
instructions below.

Paper presenters:

We invite papers that incorporate data analysis of subnational election
results. Paper presenters will also participate throughout the
mini-conference.  Paper presenters will receive an honorarium, plus travel
expenses to Montreal, and two nights accommodation.

Funded Participants

We invite participants to attend and contribute to the discussion of
research papers and the plans for bolstering research infrastructure.  We
have funds to cover travel expenses to Montreal and two nights
accommodation for a small group of participants.

If you are interested in attending this mini-conference, please send the
following to [log in to unmask] by May 16, 2022.

1) Cover letter indicating which level of participation (giving a paper, or
as general participant), and other information you wish the committee to
know, including your professional expertise and interest in subnational
election data.

2) An updated CV.

3) An abstract or full paper (if applying to give a paper).

4) A letter of recommendation (if a graduate student or postdoc)

A committee of faculty and staff affiliated with the CLEA project will
evaluate the applications and make decisions on funding by May 23, 2022.
We are especially interested in papers that use CLEA data (
electiondatarchive.org), but we welcome papers using other kinds of
subnational data from any country.  We welcome graduate students to apply,
and encourage applications from scholars from underrepresented groups.

Allen Hicken

Ken Kollman

Julia Lippman

University of Michigan