From:
"Spirling, Arthur" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2015 10:44:03 +0000
(apologies for xpost)

##CALL FOR PAPERS, DISCUSSANTS, ATTENDEES##

CONFERENCE: Sixth Annual New Directions in Analyzing Text as Data Conference.
WHAT: Call for Papers, Discussants, Attendees: firm deadline is *June 1, 2015* (by 11pm, Eastern Time)
WHEN: Friday, October 16, 2014, 8:30 am – Saturday, October 17, 2014, 5:00 pm
WHERE: Courant Institute, New York University, New York, NY.
WEB:  textasdata.nyudatascience.org

We invite you to submit a paper to be presented, to submit your name as discussant, or as an attendee, at the sixth annual research conference on "New Directions in Analyzing Text as Data" that will be held at NYU’s Center for Data Science on October 16-17, 2015. This two-day invitation-only conference draws together scholars from many different universities and disciplines to discuss developments in text as data research.  We anticipate that our conference budget will cover the airfare and hotel expenses of paper presenters and discussants, and hope that some funds will also be available to defray the costs for other attendees (see below for specific details).

The main purpose of this conference is to bring together researchers from social science, computer science and linguistics to investigate new approaches to utilizing text in (social) science research. Text has always been a valuable resource for research. However, recent developments in digital archiving as well as breakthroughs in automatic language-processing methodologies from the fields of information retrieval, natural language processing, and machine learning are creating unprecedented opportunities for searching, categorizing, and extracting social science information from text.

Previous conferences took place at Harvard University, Northwestern University and London School of Economics. Selection of participants and papers for the conferences is the responsibility of a team led by Arthur Spirling (Harvard/NYU) and Ken Benoit (LSE) and consists of Noah Smith (University of Washington), Justin Grimmer (Stanford) and Amber Boydstun (UC Davis)

*Submission Information*

Submissions should be sent to Ms Rebecca Liebe at [log in to unmask]

- Presenters:

Please submit title and abstract (of no more than 150 words) and five or six key words by *June 1, 2015*. Submissions should be original research papers that have not yet been accepted for publication.  Applied work is strongly preferred to theoretical work.

- Discussants: please let us know the areas in which you have an interest/expertise.

- Attendees: please let us know if you wish to attend, your current position, and five or six keywords regarding the nature of your interest in text as data.

*Deadline for submission*

Deadline for submission is *June 1, 2015* (by 11pm Eastern time).  Deadline is firm, no exceptions.

*Program Announcement*

On or before August 14, 2015.

*Expenses*

- Presenters, Discussants: we anticipate that registration fees, hotel, airfare, meals and refreshments will be covered by the conference budget for those listed on the program.
- Attendees: we anticipate that registration fees, meals and refreshments will be covered by the conference budget for those receiving an invitation.  We hope to have sufficient funds to also pay for some attendees' travel and accommodation, though we can give no guarantees at this time.

Best regards,

Arthur Spirling ([log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask])
Organizer
(on behalf of the paper selection committee: Arthur Spirling, Ken Benoit, Justin Grimmer, Noah Smith, Amber Boydstun)