From:
Jackman Simon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:53:23 -0700
On Mar 18, 2015, at 8:36 AM, Luke Keele <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The blog Simply Statistics has couple of posts on p-values that I think are useful, without being too extreme in any one direction.
>
> http://simplystatistics.org/?s=p-values <http://simplystatistics.org/?s=p-values>
>
> FYI BASP banned all measures of statistical uncertainty, which I think goes much too far.
>
> Luke

I thought they said they were prepared to consider Bayesian things on a case-by-case basis.

Which kind of only begs the question as to what types of Bayesian inferences they’ll consider fit for reviewers/publication…   They seem opposed to uniform priors being conjured up merely so as to get the Bayesian machinery cranking, which is not unreasonable, but which would make for a different type of write-up than we’re used to seeing or writing (many Bayesians included).

Good times.

— Simon

> Luke Keele
> Associate Professor
> Penn State University
>

>> On Mar 17, 2015, at 9:43 PM, Pechenina, Anna <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear PolMeth community,
>>

>> The Journal of Basic and Applied Social Psychology (BASP) recently banned statistical significance testing (http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/psychology-journal-bans-significance-testing/ ). While political science journals have not done this (yet), what is your opinion on the use of p-value? What are the alternatives that we can use to do "better" science and avoid issues that using statistical significance testing introduces?
>>

>> Best,
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Anna Pechenina
>> PhD Candidate
>> University of North Texas
>> Department of Political Science
>> Denton, Texas 76203

>>         http://polmeth.wustl.edu/polmeth.php

>          http://polmeth.wustl.edu/polmeth.php

Simon Jackman
Professor, Department of Political Science
Stanford University
http://jackman.stanford.edu
@simonjackman