From:
Kim Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2012 13:43:19 -0500
All,

My understanding of this problem at Texas A&M, and as it was explained to
our Faculty Senate by an official of our System office (the overall
supervisory level above the various A&M campuses) is that System legal
counsel has determined that State of Texas freedom of information laws, and
hence requests under those laws, trump IRB privacy protections.  (And I
don't think that federal FOI requests were contemplated in this
interpretation at all.)  I am no attorney, but I was dumbfounded by the
logic there from the first.  I took POLS 101 as a wee undergraduate and
remember stuff there about federal law superceding state law.

So...does anyone have a legal angle of a more specific sort on that Texas
A&M System interpretation?

kqh

Kim Quaile Hill
Cullen-McFadden Professor of Political Science, and
Eppright Professor in Undergraduate Teaching Excellence
Department of Political Science
4348 TAMU
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-4348