From:
"Ortiz, Anna Maria" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2012 13:03:38 -0400
From a marketing perspective, R is increasingly popular in a lot of the public opinion type/consulting jobs in the DC region. For more general data scientist/programmer jobs, I've heard that Python is a really good investment, but you'd definitely want R as well for statistical work.

Most government agencies are still SAS shops, and SAS training is likely to pay off for folks looking for government or contractor work at the federal or state level. Though we also use Stata for modeling and R for various tasks, SAS is still our go-to program for data manipulation. We also use SAS-callable SUDAAN for dealing with data from highly complex sample designs (as with many government establishment surveys), but that's something to pick up after you're comfortable with SAS.

Anna Maria

Anna Maria Ortiz, Ph.D.

Assistant Director, Statistics

Applied Research and Methods