From:
Jacob Eisenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2016 09:51:47 -0400
Please find attached the CfP for our workshop at EMNLP. We would welcome
contributions on text analytics for political science.
-Jacob Eisenstein, Georgia Tech

*NLP+CSS workshop at EMNLP 2016*
Saturday, November 5, 2016, Austin, Texas, USA.
https://sites.google.com/site/nlpandcss/nlpcss-at-emnlp-2016
Submission deadline: Aug 12, 2016

We welcome paper submissions (archival and non-archival), and applications
to the doctoral consortium. *Travel grants are available for doctoral
consortium participants from US universities.*

*Scope and Topics*
Language is a profoundly social phenomenon, both shaped by the social
context in which it is embedded (such as demographic influences on lexical
choice) and in turn helping construct that context itself (such as media
framing).  Although this interdependence is at the core of models in both
natural language processing (NLP) and (computational) social sciences
(CSS), these two fields still exist largely in parallel, holding back
research insight and potential applications in both fields.

This workshop aims to advance the joint computational analysis of social
sciences and language by explicitly connecting social scientists, network
scientists, NLP researchers, and industry partners.  Our focus is on
integrating CSS with current trends and techniques in NLP and to continue
the progress of CSS through socially-informed NLP for the social sciences.
This workshop offers a first step towards identifying ways to improve CSS
practice with insight from NLP, and to improve NLP with insight from the
social sciences.

*We invite research on any of the following general topics:*
- Application of NLP tools to computational social science problems
- Predictive modeling of extra-linguistic attributes (age, gender,
location, etc.)
- NLP models that incorporate extra-linguistic social information
- Validity and evaluation of social science methods in NLP, and vice versa
- Privacy and ethical implications of NLP (including demographic inference)
- Social theory in the age of big data
- Interaction between social science theory and industry (e.g. feature
engineering)

Areas of interest include all levels of linguistic analysis, network
science, and the social sciences, including (but not limited to): political
science, geography, public health, economics, psychology, sociology,
sociolinguistics, phonology, syntax, pragmatics, and stylistics.

*Invited speakers*
Jason Baldridge (University of Texas Linguistics, PeoplePattern)
James Pennebaker (University of Texas Psychology)
Margaret Roberts (UCSD Political Science)

*Paper submission details*
We welcome two tracks of submissions, both peer-reviewed.  Accepted papers
from both tracks are invited for presentation in a shared poster session.

*Archival*
Archival submissions should present completed work and should adhere to the
EMNLP formatting guidelines.  Long papers may contain up to eight pages of
content and two pages for references; short papers may contain up to four
pages of content and two pages for references. Papers submitted to this
track will be published in the workshop proceedings.

*Non-archival*
Since many journals, especially in the social sciences, do not accept
articles previously published in archived proceedings, we also solicit
contributions that are non-archival as well; work submitted through this
track should take the form of a one-page abstract.  (These submissions will
not be published in the workshop proceedings.)

Please submit your papers to https://www.softconf.com/emnlp2016/CSS/