From:
Taylor Boas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2013 11:27:03 -0500
Dear colleagues,

Thank you for the suggestions in response to my query last week. As
requested by several people, I'm following up with what I found. The
article that came closest to what I was looking for--estimating E(Y|X) =
a + bX, where both Y and the single X variable can be treated as
continuous and X is exogenously manipulated--is the following:

Panagopoulos, Costas. 2013. “Extrinsic Rewards, Intrinsic Motivation and
Voting.” Journal of Politics 75, 1: 266-280.

Panagopoulos's experiment used monetary compensation for voting as the
treatment, in several different dollar amounts, and his article includes
(among other specifications) a linear regression of voting on amount of
promised compensation. Y is obviously not continuous here, and the model
includes fixed effects for experimental strata, but it does fit the bill
in terms of an exogenously manipulated X than can be treated as
continuous, the main thing I was looking for. Plus, the theory and
empirical results set themselves up for nice discussion as to whether
the X-Y relationship really is linear.

Best,
Taylor Boas
--