From:
Bryan Shelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2011 14:18:56 -0400
Hello all,

I'm looking for some basic economic, demographic, and political data for the
50 states that's already set up as a time series panel set that goes back to
1990 or so.  Let's say I need the following variables:

Total population
% African American
% Latino
% Under age 18
% 65 and over
% in poverty
%Democratic in state legislature
Governor control Rep, Dem, or Ind

In addition, almost any variables related to public education you have will
find useful.  In particular, per pupil spending by state and year is very
useful.

A couple of people have suggested the SPPQ data resource, but unfortunately
most of that data is either out of data or incomplete.

I'm trying to avoid recreating basic information from scratch, but I am
going to set my research assistant loose on adding a few other variables
related specifically to public education.  To return the favor I am
certainly willing to share the results of her work.

Thanks again for your consideration

Bryan Shelly
Department of Political Science
Wake Forest University