From:
Ricardo Borges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2012 18:00:05 -0300
I was using softwares statistics with user-friendly GUI in my undergraduate classroom. Now I am changing to R. My intention is in next semester (in Brazil begins in august) use R with RCommander for beginner class. In advanced class I will teaching data analysis with Rgui ou RStudio. Students has terror of R because no there is user-friendly interface.

Nowadays I consider R the best statistical software for Political Science. The learning curve it's bigger than other programs, but the gains are much better.

Other good program is Gretl. A little limited yet, but promissor.

Journal of Statistical Software: Special Volume Political Methodology
http://www.jstatsoft.org/v42/i01/paper

Ricardo Borges Gama Neto
Department of Political Science
Pernambuco Federal University