From:
Kyle Peyton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2012 23:44:36 +0000
Hi all,

Can anyone point me to an article or three on the ethical issues associated with (non-laboratory) social science experiments that require explicit support from government? I'm specifically interested in articles that might discuss the "exclusion" criticism. That is, the criticism from government that assignment to treatment and control groups is inherently unethical regardless if the intervention may be hugely positive for the treatment group, and therefore a net gain. Anything specific to schools would be especially helpful. I'm aware of the Perry Preschool experiment, Milligram, etc. but more interested in discussion on the ethics and philosophy (and the politics?) of social science experiments rather than examples.

I think this is probably a very fundamental question but I've been unable to find anything. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-kyle