From:
Douglas Rivers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 09:49:31 -0800
Why would you weight on multiple variables? (For that matter, why would you use multiple regressors, when you can avoid collinearity problems by sticking to a single one?) Why would you expect weights to change the distribution of anything?

I'm reluctant to interfere with the comic value of this thread, but:

--Some of this would have been better dealt with at the selection rather than the analysis stage.

--But, given the sample you have to work with, the right question is ignorability of selection given a set of covariates, not whether Internet users or panel members are unconditionally different from non-users or non-members. (The AAPOR report is confused on this point, among many others.) It's unlikely that one or two covariates are enough to make the selection ignorable.

--There's been quite a bit of work in recent years on better methods than cell weighting or raking for dealing with these problems (calibration, propensity scores, multilevel regression post-stratification).

Douglas Rivers
Professor of Political Science
Dept. of Political Science
Stanford University