Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:35:42 -0600
I've been using BBEdit for more than a decade, and my sense is that it has
long been the most widely used non-Apple, commercial text editor for the
Mac. Many of the extra facilities it has (for example syntax-based text
coloring) are for programming languages (about fifty installed, including
68K assembler) and HTML. It doesn't have LaTeX coloring installed, but
I've found it fine for LaTeX, and it does have a good spelling checker.
Also it is thoroughly scriptable, and the company has registered the
trade-mark "It doesn't suck."

Haven't used any other text editors since I've been content with BBEdit
but again, I think it is the closest equivalent, at least in terms of
market share, to UltraEdit.

Philip A. Schrodt             Dept of Political Science
University of Kansas          Blake Hall, Room 523
1541 Lilac Lane               Lawrence, KS   66045    USA
email: [log in to unmask]         phone: +1-785-864-9024  fax: +1-785-864-5700
Home page:                    http://people.ku.edu/~schrodt
Kansas Event Data Project:    http://web.ku.edu/keds
New Kind of Social Science:   http://www.nkss.org/