From:
JONATHAN W MOODY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:19:30 -0500
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am interested in sending out a message on the methods mailing list regarding
data collection/availability.

My name is Jon Moody and I am a graduate student
at The Pennsylvania State University.  I am currently working on a
research project that is aimed at exploring candidates' campaign
behavior.  Particularly, I am focusing on candidates' decision making
processes with regard to the use of negative television advertising.

At the current stage of the project I am trying to evaluate Senate
candidates' advertising decisions in response to polling results throughout the
campaign.  This presents the challenge of collecting monthly polling data
for the 2000, 2002, and 2004 senate campaigns.  In searching for these data I
discovered that Rasmussen has posted a month-by-month collection of campaign
polls for the 2006 election cycle on their website.  Unfortunately I am stuck
at something
of a disjoint, as the Wisconsin Advertising Project data that I am working with
does not cover
the 2006 election and Rasmussen does not seem to have data posted from the
2000, 2002, and 2004 cycles in the same detail as for 2006 on their site.

I have written Rasmussen directly, but I am curious if anyone else is aware of
alternate sources where these data are available?  I am sure that Gallup, Zogby
and other polling houses possess these data, but I have been unable to locate
it thus far.  For clarity, again, I am interested in collecting monthly
campaign polling data in the 2000, 2002, and 2004 senate races.

Any input that
anyone could provide for me would be quite helpful and is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon Moody
Graduate Student/PhD