From:
"Larry M. Bartels" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2009 20:01:02 -0400
Well, tastes differ.  I, for one, don't think it is so obvious that
graphs are underutilized and tables overutilized in political science
journals.  Obviously, it is often most helpful to have both.  As
electronic publishing becomes the norm, that will presumably become
increasingly common.  In the meantime, however, when space constraints
necessitate a choice my preference will usually be for the table.  Not
always, of course -- a scatterplot with lowess regression superimposed
has no satisfactory tabular equivalent.  But if the point is simply to
report regression coefficients, graphs are likely to take more space and
convey the relevant information much less precisely.  For making a point
in an undergraduate textbook or an op-ed piece that may be fine, but for
a scholarly journal article accuracy and efficiency should often take
precedence over "present[ing] your work in the most compelling visual
manner," as Mike puts it.

Having said that, it should be obvious where I stand on Anthony's
original question about reporting point estimates.  Yes, by all means --
but with the associated standard errors as well, so that readers can
appropriately gauge the relevant uncertainty.  (Do most readers "really
understand" what these mean?  That, too, is largely a matter of context.
For an undergraduate textbook, probably not.  For a scientific journal,
I'd hope so.)  Simply reporting p-values will only be informative to
readers who happen to be interested in the null hypothesis that the
relevant parameter value is zero, which I almost never am.  The point of
doing _quantitative_ analysis, as I see it, is to learn something about
the _magnitudes_ of empirical relationships, and that is what the point
estimates (and standard errors) convey.

Larry