From:
Paul Gronke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:51:19 -0700
Ironically I take the opposite extreme--I rely on the SDA web based
statistical system pioneered at Berkeley's survey research center and
now rapidly being adopted by ICPSR.

Unlike Bear, I suspect that few of my students will actually run
statistical procedures after college, and if they do so, it will be
using the program they learn in professional or graduate school.

Isn't it the case that we are teaching statistical and reseaech design
reasoning skills, not how to program?

I am under no illusions that they will be able to use SDA for much
(though many seem to use it to perform quick and dirty analyses for
papers and settle arguments about public opinion).

By using SDA I can focus on numeracy rather than programming.

===
Paul Gronke
This email sent from a mobile device.

On Mar 24, 2009, at 8:09 AM, Bear Braumoeller <[log in to unmask]