From:
"Larry M. Bartels" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:02:01 -0400
I think the crucial difference here is p-hat versus p. If you want to
know whether the effect is "significant" at any specified point on the
logit curve, that is simply the same thing as asking whether the
coefficient is "significant" (because, for fixed p, the only thing that
is random in beta-hat_j*p*(1-p) is beta-hat_j). If you want to know
whether the effect is "significant" for a particular constellation of
explanatory variables, then the variance of p-hat enters as well, and
that depends on the entire covariance matrix of the parameter estimates.

Larry