From:
Jake Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:05:11 -0500
Hi all,

Chris L. did a great job of actually answering the question asked.

Here I post a couple of links:

Although a discussion of the virtues of Emacs versus other editors
(such as vi) would be helpful, I feel bound to post a link so that we
do not repeat the errors of the past:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war

To answer your other question:

For Polish, add the following two lines to your .emacs file (or
equivalent):

(set-language-environment 'Polish)
(set-input-method 'latin-2-prefix)

See this for more on using Emacs with different languages:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Language-Environments.html

Jake

To see a perspective on Emacs (and computing environments more
generally) from a Neal Stephenson (a novelist who neither uses R nor
typesets math see ) (search for Emacs on the page if you just want to
see that paragraph):
http://project.cyberpunk.ru/lib/in_the_beginning_was_the_command_line/