From:
Paul Gronke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:42:29 -0700
Colleagues

I hope I can get some help from the list.  I am getting conflicting
advice from two colleagues.  In essence, I am trying to figure out when
I need to divide a coefficient by (1-rho) so that it can be interpreted
parallel to the regression weight from a standard OLS.

See more below.

===

In thinking more about your problem, I gave you incorrect advise. The
beta/(1-rho) transformation is appropriate if you have a lagged
dependent variable with coefficient rho, but is not needed if it is just
the error term that has the lagged impact. The estimated equation is
y(t) - rho * y(t-1) = beta * (x(t) - rho*x(t-1)) and the estimated beta
is the natural beta because both sides of the equation have been
transformed by the lag polynomial 1 - rho*L.

Sorry for the confusion. This should make your task easier.

JP

--
Paul Gronke                  Direct phone:      503-517-7393
Dept. of Political Science   E-Fax (preferred): 440-274-8159 **NEW**