From:
"Franzese, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2008 12:27:42 -0400
Thomas,

I'd have to look it up to remember the precise details (b/c I never use
SPSS or ANOVA, the latter b/c it seems to me that the equivalent
regression analyses subsume ANOVA & are at least as intuitive &
direct... But I digress...)

I'd have to look up the precise details, but I believe what's happening
here is related to how ANOVA demeans the variables in the process of
"analyzing variances", which are (X-E(X))^2 type things. Try the
dummy-variable interaction regression model with DEMEANED "condition"
and/or "covariate" (I think "condition" and "covariate" are essentially
ANOVA-speak for regressors, right?). That should line up better. (A sign
of a coefficient still seems off in what you reported, though, perhaps
one of the variables has its polarity reversed from your ANOVA to your
regression? Either by you unwittingly or by SPSS for some reason "to
help you"?)

Anyway, the confusion relates to the mean-shifting in ANOVA, I'm
virtually certain. See Brambor, Clark, & Golder in PA a couple of years
ago on interaction terms, or Cindy Kam's and my little book on them last
year. (There's a section in our book that show's the math proving the
substantive identity of the demeaned ("centered") & non-centered model.)

Hope this helps,
Rob

*
Robert (Rob) J. Franzese, Jr.                  US Mail:   (Room 4246
ISR)
Associate Professor,                                        P.O. Box
1248
Department of Political Science,                 Ann Arbor, MI
48106-1248
and Research Associate Professor,             (Courier: 426 Thompson
St.)
Center for Political Studies,                  e-mail:
Institute for Social Research,                     office:
1-734-936-1850
The University of Michigan                            fax:
1-734-764-3341
                 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~franzese
*