From:
Achim Kemmerling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:31:48 +0100
Dear Polmeth-members:

I have a problem with Heckman models. I have found several applications
of this model for comparative political economy purposes. In some of
these rho is close to or equal to 1. In the STATA reference manual I
have found that such a rho should lead you to reject the Heckman
approach. Since I am also writing on a paper using a Heckman model and I
am facing similar problems I would like to get some opinion on this. I
use some 120 European regions of which only 30-60 are observed on the
(final) dependent variable. My guess is that a rho equal to 1 - implying
that the selection and the regression process are equal - reveal two
problems: either it shows that sample size is not large enough for an
iterative estimation procedure, or that specification of the selection
process is poor.

Can anyone help?

Best

Achim