From:
Laura B Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 09:56:24 -0400
I second the motion to learn many packages.

In academic work, I worked with concurrent active files in SPSS, Stata and excel. I converted databases using "stat-transfer" and "dbmscopy." I found that SPSS worked best for exploratory questions and intuitive issues, as well as providing presentation-grade outputs. Stata was my favorite for the stats work. In both I used file-based execution functins to ensure repeatability of runs and maintain records of the research progress. I found excel to work best for pretty graphs.

In government, I have seen R become popular because it can be employed as a standard without cost barriers.

Laura B. Nielsen, Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor of Public Policy
Georgetown Public Policy Institute
3520 Prospect Street, Suite 308F
Washington, DC  20007
WEB http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/lbn4/

Program Analyst
Environmental Analysis Division, MC 2842T
Office of Information Analysis and Access
Office of Environmental Information
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
(202) 566-0621