From:
Hangartner Dominik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 2020 18:00:09 +0000
Dear all,

Please find below a job ad for two postdoctoral positions in computational social science / NLP for the Immigration Policy Lab at ETH Zurich. The postdocs will be part of a larger collaboration, which includes the Digital Democracy Lab at the University of Zurich, focused on identifying and combating hate speech. Many thanks for sharing this with your network! I am happy to answer any questions you might have.

Best,

Dominik

===================

Job ad here: https://www.jobs.ethz.ch/job/view/JOPG_ethz_XKR5esAGczHkAg0hpQ

2 Postdoctoral research positions in computational social science

The Immigration Policy Lab and Public Policy Group at ETH Zurich, and the Digital Democracy Lab at the University of Zurich, invite applications for two postdoctoral research positions.

Project background

The positions are part of the project  “Stop Hate Speech”, led by alliance F and pursued jointly with the implementing partner sotomo. In this project, we seek to algorithmically detect hate speech across a variety of online venues (newspaper and social media) and to design and test effective strategies for counter speech.

Job description

The principal task of the postdocs will be to co-design, implement and conduct rigorous analyses using advanced methods of quantitative text analysis, machine learning, and causal inference. The postdoc will take a leading role in

1) assessing the effectiveness of a comprehensive set of counter speech strategies with experimental methods or

2) building a custom deep-learning pipeline for hate speech detection and moderation that leverages recent advances in transformer-based supervised learning methods.

The postdocs will be involved in all aspects of the research, but with a particular emphasis on data analysis and preparation of manuscripts for leading peer-reviewed journals. The appointment will be for 18-24 months beginning January 2021. The place of work is partly flexible. The competitive salary will be in line with ETH / UZH standards.

Your profile

You should fit one of these profiles:

• Profile 1: She or he will have, at the time of appointment, completed a PhD in a social science program (political science, economics, sociology, communication) with a focus on behavioral research and/or experimental approaches. Experience with designing and running field experiments is an asset.

• Profile 2: She or he will have, at the time of appointment, completed a PhD in computational social science or in a social science program (political science, economics, sociology, communication) with a strong data science component. Experience with machine/deep learning methods is an asset.

The ability to work effectively as part of a large and diverse team and proficiency in English are essential prerequisites. For profile 2, good working knowledge of German (both written and oral) is essential, for profile 1 desired.

For further information about the position please contact Selina Kurer (Subject: PostDoc 2020). For more information on the Public Policy Group, the Immmigration Policy Lab and the Digital Democracy Lab, please visit our websites at http://pp.ethz.ch,https://immigrationlab.org and https://digdemlab.io.

We look forward to receiving your online application, including a cover letter, CV, and graduate school transcripts, and a writing sample. Only applications submitted through our online application portal <https://www.jobs.ethz.ch/job/view/JOPG_ethz_XKR5esAGczHkAg0hpQ> are accepted. At least two (confidential) letters of recommendation should be sent directly to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> (Subject: Letter of Recommendation). We will begin reviewing applications on November 21, 2020 and continue until the positions are filled.

Apply here: https://www.jobs.ethz.ch/job/view/JOPG_ethz_XKR5esAGczHkAg0hpQ

   Editor:  Erin Rossiter  <[log in to unmask]>