Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:53:50 -0500
Hi Laura,

I think you're looking for this:  Sullivan, John L. 1973.  "Political Correlates of Social, Economic, and Religious Diversity in the American States." Journal of Politics 35, no. 1: 70-84.

Rodney Hero has also used this in his 1998 book Faces of Inequality.

Paul

Paul Manna
Assistant Professor
Department of Government
Thomas Jefferson Program in Public Policy
College of William and Mary
http://faculty.wm.edu/pmanna/