From:
Gary King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 12:15:05 -0400
In addition, an odds ratio is only approximately a relative risk when the
dependent variable is highly imbalanced (i.e., rare events).  Langche Zeng
and I wrote about this strange situation: despite the fact that the whole
medical community communicates in ORs, essentially no one is more
comfortable using them than relative risks, first differences, base
probabilities, etc.  Since most social scientists have avoided this
strange path, I don't see any reason we should start down it now.  Its
easy to compute any real quantity of interest from your multinomial logit
model, and so that's what I'd suggest you do.

Gary

P.S. more at http://gking.harvard.edu/projects/rareevents.shtml