From:
Adam Berinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:45:57 -0400
On IRBs, this is the language that Gabe and I have used for the MIT IRB applications. We also open all our surveys with an IRB approved consent form (feel free to e-mail me if you want a copy). From our IRB's perspective the key is that the survey is voluntary and, because of the way MT is structured, we have no identifying information. It's much more straightforward than a lab study in this regard.

"The survey will be posted to Amazon's Mechanical Turk website, where people will be able to choose whether or not to complete the survey for a small monetary compensation ($.25-$.75).  Subjects will be those who willingly choose to complete this survey on Amazon's Mechanical Turk site. The PI will have no access to the names of the subjects or any other identifying information. "

hope this helps

adam
Adam J. Berinsky
Associate Professor