From:
Adam Berinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:19:07 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Political Methodology Society [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Achim Kemmerling
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 11:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [POLMETH] Heckman

Dear Polmeth-members:

I have a problem with Heckman models. I have found several applications
of this model for comparative political economy purposes. In some of
these rho is close to or equal to 1. In the STATA reference manual I
have found that such a rho should lead you to reject the Heckman
approach. Since I am also writing on a paper using a Heckman model and I
am facing similar problems I would like to get some opinion on this. I
use some 120 European regions of which only 30-60 are observed on the
(final) dependent variable. My guess is that a rho equal to 1 - implying
that the selection and the regression process are equal - reveal two
problems: either it shows that sample size is not large enough for an
iterative estimation procedure, or that specification of the selection
process is poor.

Can anyone help?

Best

Achim

--
Dr. Achim Kemmerling
Research Fellow

Here is a copy of an exchange on a similar matter a few years back

From H-PolMeth <[log in to unmask]>
Subject H-POLMETH: RE: Heckprob (stata) problems
Date posted 2003-07-30 07:46:18

Hi, all-
We've received several detailed responses to the recent posting on Heckman
probit models.  They follow, with the original posting, for your
reference.
KL