From:
Alexandra Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2021 16:01:28 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

As a reminder, EITM Summer Institute applications are due soon and can be
submitted online via this form
<https://duke.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2t3IWsz2kwVIBlI>.  Applications are
due by March 22, 2021.  Letters of recommendation from the two listed
references are due by March 29, 2021.

On behalf of the EITM Leadership Team, I’m pleased to be able to let you
know that the following faculty will be among those contributing to this
year's program:

Ethan Bueno de Mesquita

Jim Curry

Sean Gailmard

Amanda Kennard

Frances Lee

Lanny Martin

Monika Nalepa

John Patty

Maggie Penn

Emily Sellars

Arthur Spirling

Brandon Stewart

Milan Svolik

Dustin Tingley

Rocío Titiunik

Georg Vanberg

We're excited these faculty will be joining us, and looking forward to the
innovative curriculum they are collaborating to provide.  This summer's
EITM will be virtual with a focus on research design and how to better link
theory with empirical work, including recent work on causal inference and
computational approaches.  EITM is known for the opportunities it provides
junior scholars to connect with faculty, and we will continue to emphasize
this aspect of the program, with one-on-one meetings between EITM
participants and faculty and a core focus on student research, as key
priorities in the online format.

The 2021 Summer Institute will be hosted virtually by Duke University from
Sunday July 18 through Saturday July 31.  We encourage applications from
graduate students (in their second year of study or later), postdocs, and
new faculty interested in learning more about the linkages between theory
and empirics, regardless of subfield. We particularly welcome applications
from members of under-represented groups.

Please submit applications online via this form
<https://duke.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2t3IWsz2kwVIBlI>. In addition to
contact information for two references, the application requires (1)
an *EITM research
proposal* (5 pages). We will base admission substantially on the quality
and potential of this proposal -- particularly its integration of
theoretical modeling and empirical testing; (2) a *brief statement of your
interest and purpose* in applying for the summer program (1-2 pages); (3)
your *Curriculum Vita* with name and contact information, current location
and position. If you are a student, the CV should indicate your current
status in graduate school (e.g., whether you've passed exams and defended a
dissertation proposal).

Funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), this program trains
graduate students and junior faculty in EITM, a research strategy that
integrates theoretical models and empirical research to improve and expand
our understanding of politics.

We would appreciate it if you would share this information with colleagues
and graduate students and encourage your students to apply.  Thank you!

Sincerely,
Alexandra Cooper

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Alexandra Cooper
  Associate Director for Education and Training, Social Science Research
Institute
  Associate Director, Duke Initiative on Survey Methodology
  Box 90989
  Duke University
  Durham, NC  27708-0989
  Phone:  (919)681-3902