Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:24:08 -0700
This workshop is primarily intended as an introduction for curious graduate students and faculty. We will cover the basics - scraping, converting text to data, analytic tools, validation and working with big data. Some familiarity with programming languages will be  helpful but is not a requirement. At the end of the day, participants will have a solid sense of possibilities and how to proceed, should they choose to proceed.

Thanks! John

Polilnformatics Text as Data Workshop
Wednesday, September 2, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Hilton Union Square 16

What information can we get from text? How do we get it? What are the different options for analyzing words as data? How do we know whether a method is doing a good job of capturing what¢s in a document? This workshop introduces computational approaches to collecting, organizing, and analyzing text as data. Computational methods can assist the process of forming impressions and formulating hypotheses where lots of data is involved, and in applying classification schemes at scale. We will learn about the opportunities and challenges of working with text as data and then experiment with some popular R packages and sample Python scripts.

John D. Wilkerson
Box 353530
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195