Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, rkw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2023 10:50:21 -0600
Adding to the Experimental Toolbox:
Complementing Lab Experiments with Survey Data
February 10 and 11, 2023
Application Deadline:  January 9, 2023

Graduate students in economics and political science are invited to apply for a two-day workshop: “Adding to the Experimental Toolbox: Complementing Lab Experiments with Survey Data.” The workshop focuses on the use of carefully designed survey measures and survey experiments, in conjunction with lab or online experiments, to address important research questions in economic theory and policy.  It is funded by a grant from The International Foundation for Research in Experimental Economics (IFREE).

The workshop will take place at Rice University in Houston, Texas on February 10 and 11, 2023. A maximum of 16 students will be accepted into the workshop. Our goal is to mentor participants to design specific experimental/survey projects.  The application involves submitting a proposal for a potential project or a project currently in progress (at an early design stage). Based on the lectures and individual mentoring by faculty, students will develop a clean experimental design for their projects. Final projects will compete for seed funding of up to $2000 per project.

Faculty:
Anya Samek (University of California, San Diego)
Danila Serra (Texas A&M University)
Joanna Lahey (Texas A&M University)
Catherine Eckel (Texas A&M University)
Rick Wilson (Rice University)
Eligibility
The workshop is aimed at second year or higher graduate students in economics or political science with research questions that are well suited to a combination of experimental and survey data. Those chosen for the program are expected to have prepared a clear preliminary experimental design. Faculty at the workshop will work with students to improve their designs. During the workshop students will present their designs, receive feedback, and work to finalize their designs.

Costs
Participants will fund their own travel costs to and from Houston, TX. The workshop will provide hotel accommodations and meals.

Details of the application (deadline January 9, 2023) can be found at:
https://brl.rice.edu/BRL/Programs/IFREE2022/Info_Page.html <https://brl.rice.edu/BRL/Programs/IFREE2022/Info_Page.html>
Applicants will be notified on January 13, 2023.

The course is organized by:
Rick K. Wilson, Rice University
Catherine C. Eckel, Texas A&M University

Inquiries can be directed to Rick Wilson: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>