From:
Justin Esarey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2021 23:38:09 -0400
Hi everyone,

This Friday, April 23 at noon Eastern time, the International Methods
Colloquium will host a presentation by Oliver Rittmann (University of
Mannheim). Oliver's presentation is entitled "Video-as-Data Methods for
Political Science Research."

The abstract of the talk is as follows:

How can political scientists extract valuable information from large
> corpuses of video data, like recordings of political speech? Parliaments
> around the world maintain publicly available video archives, but it is
> challenging to extract this information at feasible costs. This talk
> introduces methods to the automated analysis of video data. The talk will
> be split into three parts: First, I provide a gentle introduction to the
> functioning of Convolutional Neural Networks (CNNs), the workhorse deep
> learning model for visual analysis. Second, I discuss CNNs from a practical
> perspective by showing how they can be used to measure emphasis of speech
> based on video recordings from legislative debates in the US House of
> Representatives. Third, I demonstrate how the resulting data informs
> substantive questions in legislative research. I conclude with practical
> recommendations for practitioners.

A link to the paper is available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxu89tzf2nokx7m/pay_attention_to_this_rittmann_et_al.pdf?dl=0

To tune in to the presentation and participate in the discussion after the
talk, visit http://www.methods-colloquium.com/ and click "Watch Now!" on
the day of the talk. To register for the talk in advance, click here:

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_yLsaGyTbRsqMDU5TDysTZg

The IMC uses Zoom, which is free to use for listeners and works on PCs,
Macs, and iOS and Android tablets and phones. You can be a part of the talk
from anywhere around the world with access to the Internet. The
presentation and Q&A will last for a total of one hour.

I hope to see you there!

-JE

--

Dr. Justin Esarey
Associate Professor of Politics and International Affairs