From:
Michael Colaresi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2019 21:32:58 -0400
Hello. The Department of Political Science at the University of Pittsburgh
is hiring in computational social science and methodology this fall. I will
be at APSA if anyone would like to meet in person and talk about the job
and our initiatives in computational social science more generally.

The full job ad is below. My email contact is [log in to unmask]

Sincerely,
Mike

Michael Colaresi
William S. Dietrich II Chair
Department of Political Science
Research and Academic Director
Institute of Cyber Law, Policy, and Security
University of Pittsburgh

Computational Social Science Position at the University of Pittsburgh

The Department of Political Science at the University of Pittsburgh seeks
candidates for a tenure-stream position in Political Methodology and
Computational Social Science at the level of Assistant Professor. We are
seeking researchers that have expertise in applying machine learning
approaches, broadly construed, to computationally intensive problems in
social science. Researchers modeling social media or networks, those
employing novel data (e.g., eye-tracking, MRI or GIS data), at scale, or
applying creative measurement and visualization strategies to explore
topics such as algorithmic biases would be particularly competitive for
this position, and we welcome applications from scholars whose work
complements and builds on departmental strengths. We encourage applications
not only from candidates who have been trained in Political Science
departments, but also interdisciplinary researchers whose interests
intersect with political science topics. A successful candidate will have a
strong research agenda, evidence of teaching ability, the promise of
attracting external funding for his/her research, and will have the
opportunity to join the interdisciplinary MLHub initiative at Pitt.

The starting date for the position is September 1, 2020, and applicants
should have completed a Ph.D. in Political Science, Information Science,
Computer Science, or a related field before the appointment begins.
Applications should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of
research and teaching interests, two or three writing samples, teaching
evaluations (if available), a brief description of how your research,
teaching or service demonstrates a commitment to diversity and inclusion,
and a minimum of three letters of reference; references will receive email
notification with instructions about submitting their letters. Please apply
online at: https://facultysearch.as.pitt.edu/apply/index/MjY3. In order to
ensure full consideration, applications must be received by September 16,
2019, and the review of applications will continue until the position is
filled. The Political Science Department telephone number is (412)
648-7290; the contact e-mail address is [log in to unmask] The University of
Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values
equality of opportunity, human dignity and diversity.
EEO/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled.

Contact:Wynn Maloney Email:[log in to unmask]:412-648-7290Fax:Address:4600
Wesley W. Posvar Hall
230 South Bouquet Street
Pittsburgh PA, 15260