From:
Alex Hanna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2018 16:29:00 -0700
From a friend in the UW iSchool. Women and PoC are encouraged to apply.

- A

I wanted to reach out to share a lecturer job posting we have open here at
the University of Washington Information School right now. It's officially
listed as "data, code, and information technology" which is just to say
that the search is casting a pretty broad net to find folks with
appropriate technical schools to teach in our (growing!) undergraduate
degree program in Informatics. The full posting is here, including
highlighted skills/knowledge areas: https://apply.interfolio.com/56387

One unique thing about this particular call is that we are not requiring an
advanced degree - rather, we will consider substituting work experience in
the absence of a Masters or PhD. For me, this reads as an opportunity to
attract candidates from underrepresented groups for which the pursuit of an
advanced degree is often not feasible, whether for financial or other
reasons. I would be grateful if you could direct this post to any relevant
lists or groups you might be plugged into!

About our lecturer positions, briefly: lecturers are members of our faculty
with voting power in most iSchool matters. The position is full time with
benefits and the pay is reasonable (though, admittedly, this is a continual
challenge in a place like Seattle, but there are some limited campus
benefits - like around transit - that help offset the cost of living here a
bit). The positions are also ladder-rank, which means there are (non-tenure
track) opportunities for advancement and promotion. It'd be an ideal gig
for someone looking to make a change, provided they are interested in
teaching, working with ambitious undergraduate students, and looking to
move into a university environment. I really love the campus and UW has
been, overall, a great place to work.

Thanks in advance for sharing this as you can! And please let others know
they are free to share this as well.

Sincerely,

Anna

--