From:
"Gibson, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2019 13:21:58 +0000
Dear All,
              I am interested in whether any measures exist pertaining to the role of universities in metropolitan statistical areas (MSA). Easy example: Madison, WI, College Station, TX. The impact of the university in these places must be gigantic. Impact? Economic impact, percentage of work force employed, local political positions held by university staff, etc. Not sure exactly what I am after, but I can easily imagine that the impact of universities in Houston is smaller than the impact in Boston. It's probably easy to measure university influence in small areas (Champaign/Urbana) and harder in large. And there are other complications as well.
              So, I am wondering: Does any one know of existing measures/literature into which I might tap? To put it succinctly, I am interested in measures of the degree to which universities and colleges influence the local political, economic, and social environment in the MSA.
              Thanks in advance,
Jim

Professor James L. Gibson
Sidney W. Souers Professor of Government
Washington University in St. Louis

Contact Info:

              13 Hortense Place
              St. Louis, MO   63108