From:
Delia Dumitrescu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2014 14:58:00 +0000
Nonverbal communication in politics: Implications for democratic judgements and discourse
Gothenburg, Sweden, August 18 and 19, 2014

Deadline for abstracts: April 1, 2014

We welcome applications for participants at the conference “Nonverbal communication in politics: Implications for democratic judgements and discourse,” which we will host at the Multidisciplinary Opinion and Democracy Research Group (MOD) in Gothenburg on August 18 and 19, 2014.
The conference aims to serve as a platform for presenting and discussing ongoing research on nonverbal communication in relation to citizen and politician decision-making and behavior. Extant research suggests that nonverbal political information plays an important role in decision-making, especially if citizens lack the time, interest or resources to make highly informed decisions.
We expect to have between 15 and 20 papers. We have confirmed attendance of about half of the participants, with leading political science and communication scholars from the US, Canada, Germany, Italy, Israel and Sweden.
We would like to call for additional papers from interested researchers. We are able to reimburse a fixed amount for accepted paper givers to cover travel and/or accommodation. Lunches and dinners will be offered.
This conference is structured along five big topics, and we welcome papers presenting research falling under any one of them:
1.      What is being communicated nonverbally?
2.      When do nonverbal communication aspects matter for decision-making?
3.      What aspects of decision-making does nonverbal communication influence?
4.      Why do nonverbal aspects of the communication influence decision-making?
5.      How can we measure nonverbal effects?
If you are interested please send the title and abstract of your presentation by April 1st to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. We would also be happy to answer any other questions.
Sincerely,
Organizing committee: Delia Dumitrescu, Lena Wängnerud, Bengt Johansson
Multidisciplinary Opinion and Democracy Research Group (MOD)
www.mod.gu.se/english<http://www.mod.gu.se/english>

---
Delia Dumitrescu, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral fellow, Multidisciplinary Opinion and Democracy Research Group
Department of political science
University of Gothenburg
http://www.pol.gu.se/english/personnel/faculty/dumitrescu--delia/