From:
"Ian P. Cook" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:47:57 -0500
Another option, a bit roundabout but perhaps better than scraping PDFs, would be to use data in the Federal Procurement Data System (FPDS) at www.fpds.gov. This records and tracks all contracts let by gov't agencies over $3000. You can search for, say, Department of the Army and get the a list of contracts the Army has let to any vendor. The results are downloadable in a .CSV file, one field of which is Vendor State. This does not include grants (such as awards from DoD to a university) since a lot of local work like Base Operating Support, logistics, mil construction, and more are usually completed by contractors (plus, the DoD branches can serve as the vendor in case they do work for either another branch or another agency -- much work in areas like RDT&E are contracted cross-branch; the FPDS data would then capture a good deal of money transferred from the agency to the state in general). A decent FAQ on what FPDS contains is here: http://www.fpds-ng.com/wiki/index.php/FPD
 S-NG_FAQ

Best,

-Ian

--