From:
Benjamin Bishin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2013 09:08:35 -0800
Lisa,
Exit polls are not going to provide much information with respect to
turnout.  They only poll people who show up.  If you are willing to
rely on self-reported turnout (which overstates turnout) the Census
produces the CPS which has a voting supplement in November of election
years and which can be used to calculate state level turnout and
possibly district level turnout (I haven't tried to do the latter).
There is desirability bias in these estimates, but depending on what
you want to do with the data, it may not be such a problem for you.

Best,

Ben Bishin
Associate Professor
UC Riverside