From:
Sun-Ki Chai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2011 21:44:50 -1000
Dear Everyone,

I am happy to announce we have obtained travel awards and subsidies to
those attending 2011 Conference on Social Computing, Behavioral-Cultural
Modeling, & Prediction <http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/conferences/sbp2011/>
(SBP11), the largest interdisciplinary conference devoted to
computational modeling of social phenomena.  The conference will be held
March 29-31 on the campus of the University of Maryland, with
pre-conference tutorials on March 28.  We expect sufficient funding for
five awards of approximately $1500 for social science faculty or
students, as well as approximately 15 additional student awards of $800,
with social science-related disciplines being given priority.  It is not
necessary to have a paper accepted in order to apply, though presenters
are of course welcome.  I really apologize for the short notice, but our
travel funding budget was only confirmed only very recently.

We will make decisions on a rolling basis, so please send applications
in ASAP, as they do not require much preparation time.

To apply for the student fund, applicants must send an email to Patrick
Roos <mailto:[log in to unmask]> <[log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>, copied to Inon Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> with the following:

     1.  confirmation that the student is planning to attend SBP 2011
     2.  confirmation that the student wants to apply for the bursary
     3.  a simple letter of support by a faculty member confirming the
applicant's student status
     4.  a short paragraph outlining why the student has need for the
bursary

To apply for the faculty/student fund, send an email to me
<[log in to unmask]> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> with:

     1.  a short letter describing why attendance will be useful for you
intellectually and/or professionally
     2.  a copy of your CV
     3.  a rough breakdown of your estimated attendance costs, existing
sources of funding, and a funding request

Questions on each fund should be directed to the associated application
addresses.

Please see the conference website
<http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/conferences/sbp2011/> for more information on
the program
<http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/conferences/sbp2011/program.html>, tutorials
<http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/conferences/sbp2011/tutorials.html>, keynotes
<http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/conferences/sbp2011/keynote.html>, and other
highlights, as well as logistical information. Though the early bird
registration deadline is March 7, we are attempting to have it extended
due to this funding opportunity.  However, as mentioned, the earlier we
have your application the earlier we can process it.  As you may know,
the amount of federal funding being offered in the social research areas
covered by this conference is very large compared to that offered within
the traditional social science disciplines, yet still attracts
relatively few applications from social scientists themselves.  From an
longer-term intellectual perspective, it provides a vision into the
future of interdisciplinary university research.

Thanks,

Sun-Ki

*Sun-Ki Chai*, Associate Professor
??? (???)
*Email:* [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
*Web:* www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/ <http://www2.hawaii.edu/%7Esunki/>
Office +1 808 956-7234
Message +1 808 956-7693
Fax +1 808 956-3707
Cell +1 808 741-4843 	Department of Sociology
2424 Maile Way, Saunders Hall 237
University of Hawai`i
Honolulu HI 96822 USA