From:
"Ryan D. Enos" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2010 17:47:51 -0400
Dear Mary,
to answer your question directly, I think it is always appropriate to
request disclosure of field notes.  As a detailed record of data
collection, the notes are an important part of establishing the
conditions for replicating a study.  Like other forms of data and data
collection processes, I think the researcher has a responsibility to
make these available and transparent.  King, Keohane, and Verba (1994)
have a discussion of this.

That being said, your concern about the confidentiality of your sources
and personal matters are perfectly valid and I do not mean to diminish
the importance of those concerns.  You obviously have a responsibility
to your subjects and to future research projects to maintain trust.  I
think that the solution would be to provide a redacted version of your
field notes.

Sincerely,

Ryan

--