From:
Jens Hainmueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:46:56 +0000
Please find below a call for nine positions in the founding faculty of the School of Public Policy and International Affairs (SPPIA) at the Central European University in Budapest. One of the positions is in "Applied Research Methods" and they are looking for a person with a focus on program evaluation.

As you may know, CEU was established by George Soros in 1991 as an international graduate-level university. The language of instruction is English and the ad says they pay "internationally competitive salary."

Best,

Jens

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AT CEU

Central European University

www.ceu.hu

Founding Faculty Positions (Open and Senior Ranks)

School of Public Policy and International Affairs

Application deadline: Full Or Part Time: 	May 15, 2012 Full-time (with part-time option)

Description

The School of Public Policy and International Affairs (SPPIA) at Central European University in Budapest is launching the first of several major waves of faculty hirings. CEU was established by George Soros in 1991 as an international graduate-level university. A new interdisciplinary school at the University, SPPIA seeks Professors, Associate Professors and Assistant Professors who will join its founding faculty. Faculty will shape SPPIA’s research agenda and teaching programs as well as spearhead the establishment of new policy research centers in Budapest and globally. We are looking for academic entrepreneurs ready to contribute to a vibrant intellectual community committed to improving public policy worldwide through innovative teaching, excellent research and extensive engagement with policy practice, including by cooperating with CEU’s sister organization, the Open Society Foundations, and its many civil society partners across the globe.

We are offering the following senior-level position:

George Soros Chair in Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation (2012/013)

and open rank positions in the following areas:

International Relations and Global Governance (2012/014)

Public Administration and Management with a focus on the study of organizations including civil society (2012/015)

Comparative Politics (2012/016)

Law and Public Policy (2012/017)

Political Sociology with a focus on the development of state-society relations across cultures and histories (2012/018)

Applied Research Methods with a focus on quantitative and qualitative evaluation (2012/019)

Economics and Public Policy (2012/020)

Political Economy and Development (2012/021)

The ideal candidates will:

- Have outstanding academic credentials (Ph.D. and an internationally recognized publications record) and pursue an ambitious research agenda;

- Exhibit a passion for teaching and an openness to employ innovative teaching methods;

- Have the ambition and talent to influence public policy debates;

- Be committed to building a world-class institution

Compensation

An internationally competitive salary is offered commensurate with experience.

How to Apply

Submit applications electronically to [log in to unmask] including the above relevant job code (e.g. 2012/013) in the subject line. Please include: (1) cover letter with qualifications and brief statement of purpose, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) a record of notable publications and scholarship, and (4) names and contact information for at least three references. Review of applications will begin on May 15, 1 2012 and continue until positions are filled. Earliest possible starting date is September 1, 2012. For informal inquiries, contact SPPIA Dean Wolfgang Reinicke at [log in to unmask]

CEU is an equal opportunity employer.

About the School for Public Policy and International Affairs

SPPIA aspires to become (in the words of its founder George Soros) a “new kind of global institution dealing with global problems”. In its degree and non-degree programs (including executive education), SPPIA aims to create an educational experience that involves not only the acquisition of skills and knowledge but also the cultivation of a mindset that emphasizes entrepreneurship, innovation, cultural awareness and a commitment to the public good. Commencing in September 2013, SPPIA’s two-year professional Master degree program will attract exceptional students from across the globe who seek a transformational experience to prepare them for a career as change-makers in the public, civil society, and private sectors. SPPIA plans to establish the following areas of concentration in teaching and research: Global Europe, Human Security, Development, Media and Communication, Human Rights and Humanitarianism as well as Energy and the Environment. Building on Central European University’s rich traditions of promoting diversity and open societies, the SPPIA will cultivate a rigorous interdisciplinary environment and a dynamic laboratory of ideas.

About Central European University

Central European University (CEU) is a research-intensive university specializing in graduate education in the social sciences, humanities, law and business. It is located in Budapest, and accredited in the United States and Hungary. The language of instruction is English. CEU’s mission is to promote academic excellence, state-of-the-art research, and civic engagement, in order to contribute to the development of open societies around the world. CEU offers both master and doctoral programs, and enrolls more than 1500 students from over 100 nations. The teaching staff consists of more than 140 resident faculty members from over 40 countries, and a large number of prominent visiting scholars from around the world.