From:
Paul Gronke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:20:00 -0700
I offer a course every year called "Introduction to Political
Behavior" (syllabus here: http://people.reed.edu/~gronkep/pol210-f06/index.html)
.  The class is sort of a weird amalgam of intro to political science,
baby rational choice and formal theory, and some stats.   In essence,
the students walk through the rationality of voting, the paradox of
(non)voting, social / institutional "solutions" to the paradox of
voting, and here write a paper analyzing data on turnout.

What I'm reconsidering is the substantive hook for the course, which
relies heavily on Rosenstone and Hansen.  The book is getting a bit
old, which does not bother me much, but it's also long for the
purposes to which I put it.  I was thinking of substituting a book on
the 2008 election and have students analyze data related to that year.

The questions I have are two:

1) Does anyone know if the 2008 NES will be on the SDA system
(sda.berkeley.edu) or the ICPSR online data analysis system (http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/cgi-bin/SDA-ID/ICPSR/hsda?icpsr+04245-0001
) by Fall?

2) Anyone have suggestions for a good book / reader on the 2008
election that hopefully covers turnout and participation and might
also have an analytical or spatial bent?
---
Paul Gronke               Ph: 503-517-7393
Professor                    Fax:
Reed College
3203 SE Woodstock Blvd.
Portland OR 97202