From:
James Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:58:12 -0700
The Impact Factor news about PA made me curious, so I thought I would
share a little replication I did.

As of June 19, 2008, in ISI for articles (as ISI defines them,
excludes editorial material, reviews, book reviews, and corrections)
for the 2007 Political Analysis I count 21 cites out of 22 articles
(12 of which are brought to you by Gary King!).  For the 2007 APSR I
count 28 cites out of 49 articles.  When removing self-cites, the
numbers don't change much:  PA has a single self-cite and APSR has 3.
I include the relevant articles for 2007 below.

Using this method for the past 4 years:

2007
PA 20 cites to 21 articles
APSR 25 cites to 49 articles

2006
PA 126 cites to 18 articles
APSR 92 cites to 55 articles

2005
PA 50 cites to 24 articles
APSR 276 cites to 42 articles

2004
PA 83 cites to 24 articles
APSR 483 cites to 44 articles

Total 2004-2007
PA 279 cites to 87 articles
APSR 876 cites to 190 articles

So in the short term, yes, PA is doing quite well, but APSR wins if we
the coming years....

Best,
james

James H. Fowler
http://jhfowler.ucsd.edu

------------------------

CITED ARTICLES IN 2007 POLITICAL ANALYSIS:

Ho, DE (Ho, Daniel E.); Imai, K (Imai, Kosuke); King, G (King, Gary);
Stuart, EA (Stuart, Elizabeth A.)
Title: Matching as nonparametric preprocessing for reducing model
dependence in parametric causal inference
Times Cited: 8

King, G (King, Gary); Wand, J (Wand, Jonathan)
Title: Comparing incomparable survey responses: Evaluating and
selecting anchoring vignettes
Times Cited: 4

Fowler, JH (Fowler, James H.); Johnson, TR (Johnson, Timothy R.);
Spriggs, JF (Spriggs, James F., II); Jeon, S (Jeon, Sangick);
Wahlbeck, PJ (Wahlbeck, Paul J.)
Title: Network analysis and the law: Measuring the legal importance of
precedents at the US Supreme Court
Times Cited: 2

Plumper, T (Pluemper, Thomas); Troeger, VE (Troeger, Vera E.)
Title: Efficient estimation of time-invariant and rarely changing
variables in finite sample panel analyses with unit fixed effects
Times Cited: 2

Franzese, RJ (Franzese, Robert J., Jr.); Hays, JC (Hays, Jude C.)
Title: Spatial econometric models of cross-sectional interdependence
in political science panel and time-series-cross-section data
Times Cited: 1

Beck, N (Beck, Nathaniel); Katz, JN (Katz, Jonathan N.)
Title: Random coefficient models for time-series-cross-section data:
Monte Carlo experiments
Times Cited: 1

Gaines, BJ (Gaines, Brian J.); Kuklinski, JH (Kuklinski, James H.);
Quirk, PJ (Quirk, Paul J.)
Title: The logic of the survey experiment reexamined
Times Cited: 1

Sanders, D (Sanders, David); Clarke, HD (Clarke, Harold D.); Stewart,
MC (Stewart, Marianne C.); Whiteley, P (Whiteley, Paul)
Title: Does mode matter for modeling political choice? Evidence from
the 2005 British Election Study
Times Cited: 1

Spirling, A (Spirling, Arthur); McLean, I (McLean, Iain)
Title: UKOCOK? Interpreting optimal classification scores for the UK
House of Commons
Times Cited: 1

CITED ARTICLES IN 2007 AMERICAN POLITICAL SCIENCE REVIEW:

Nexon, DH (Nexon, Daniel H.); Wright, T (Wright, Thomas)
Title: What's at stake in the American empire debate
Times Cited: 5

Cederman, LE (Cederman, Lars-Erik); Girardin, L (Girardin, Luc)
Title: Beyond fractionalization: Mapping ethnicity onto nationalist
insurgencies
Times Cited: 4

Cusack, TR (Cusack, Thomas R.); Iversen, T (Iversen, Torben); Soskice,
D (Soskice, David)
Title: Economic interests and the origins of electoral systems
Times Cited: 2

Honig, B (Honig, Bonnie)
Title: Between decision and deliberation: Political paradox in
democratic theory
Times Cited: 2

Powell, R (Powell, Robert)
Title: Defending against terrorist attacks with limited resources
Times Cited: 2

Levine, DK (Levine, David K.); Palfrey, TR (Palfrey, Thomas R.)
Title: The paradox of voter participation? A laboratory study
Times Cited: 2

Kasara, K (Kasara, Kimuli)
Title: Tax me if you can: Ethnic geography, democracy, and the
taxation of agriculture in Africa
Times Cited: 2

Chong, D (Chong, Dennis); Druckman, JN (Druckman, James N.)
Title: Framing public opinion in competitive democracies
Times Cited: 1

Battaglini, M (Battaglini, Marco); Morton, R (Morton, Rebecca);
Palfrey, T (Palfrey, Thomas)
Title: Efficiency, equity, and timing of voting mechanisms
Times Cited: 1

Barreto, MA (Barreto, Matt A.)
Title: Si Se Puede! - Latino candidates and the mobilization of Latino
voters
Times Cited: 1

Morrow, JD (Morrow, James D.)
Title: When do states follow the laws of war?
Times Cited: 1

Kelley, J (Kelley, Judith)
Title: Who keeps international commitments and why? The international
criminal court and bilateral nonsurrender agreements
Times Cited: 1

Keck, TM (Keck, Thomas M.)
Title: Party, policy, or duty: Why does the supreme court invalidate
federal statutes?
Times Cited: 1

Tsai, LL (Tsai, Lily L.)
Title: Solidary groups, informal accountability, and local public
goods provision in rural China
Times Cited: 1

Volden, C (Volden, Craig); Wiseman, AE (Wiseman, Alan E.)
Title: Bargaining in legislatures over particularistic and collective
goods
Times Cited: 1

Soss, J (Soss, Joe); Schram, SF (Schram, Sanford F.)
Title: A public transformed? Welfare reform as policy feedback
Times Cited: 1

Krause, GA (Krause, George A.); Corder, JK (Corder, J. Kevin)
Title: Explaining bureaucratic optimism: Theory and evidence from US
executive agency macroeconomic forecasts
Times Cited: 1

Fearon, JD (Fearon, James D.); Kasara, K (Kasara, Kimuli); Laitin, DD
(Laitin, David D.)
Title: Ethnic minority rule and Civil War onset
Times Cited: 1