From:
Matthew DeBell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2008 15:31:39 -0700
For a constitutional amendment or any analogous (yea or nay) procedure,
there is a compelling theoretical reason not to round at all.  This is just
that the rules require the number of votes to meet or exceed a threshold in
order for the amendment to pass, and rounding would change the threshold and
thus break the rule.

Suppose you have 200 eligible voters and the rules require a 2/3rds vote for
passage.  Suppose the proposed amendment gets 133 votes.  133/200 = 66.5%.
66.5% is less than two thirds, so the amendment fails.  Rounding the vote to
67% would effectively change the rule to require a 66.5% vote instead of
two-thirds.

Note that the rule for a yea or nay procedure has to be that you _do not_
round, not that you round down.  If a deliberative body has a rule requiring
a 1/3rd vote to open a new proposal for debate, then an unrounded 33.4% vote
is successful, but rounding the result down would break the rule.

--
Matthew DeBell, Ph.D.
Director of Stanford Operations for the American National Election Studies

650-725-2239