From:
Fernando Martel Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:31:09 -0400
At what frequency: annual, quarterly, monthly?

I would start with the IMF International Financial Statistics.  Look in both annual, monthly and quarterly publications.  Sometimes they only have annual yet other times they have monthly but do not aggregate to annual - go figure.

Then check World Bank's World Development Indicators, although I believe they only have annual.

Within those institutions you might want to contact the teams putting together the World Economic Outlook at the IMF and Global Economic Prospects at World Bank (do a web search): they have masses of data drawn from many sources.

Also, among IFIs, try the Inter American Development Bank.

Next, try private vendors like Haver Analytics and DataStream.  They typically have very up to date data, but not long histories.  Presumably your library has a subscription.

Finally use data posted by individual central banks in web their web sites.

Advice: (1) Be warned about hyper inflation.  Some series are broken into 2 - 3  separate ones because computers - at least until recently - can't handle easily the large number of leading or trailing zeros, depending on how you re-base; (2) Do some diagnostics on the data, I have often found some IFIs misplace a decimal point here or there which, though random, will add quite a bit of unnecessary noise, so compute the differences and look for obvious outliers.

Best,

Fernando Martel
New York University
Wilf Family Dept. of Politics