From:
Michael McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:43:17 -0500
Sadly, data entry is a lost art.  I find it meditative to think about the
patterns I am observing while I enter data.

I would suggest waiting for a couple more weeks as many states have yet to
report their certified results.  I have found in compiling turnout numbers
that CNN (which, like many news organizations, reports the Associated Press
tabulation) is often out of date and lacks numbers for the uncontested
races.  The uncontested races will pose a problem, as they always do, for
aggregate national party vote totals since there are six races in Florida
that no election was held because a candidate (all Democrats) ran unopposed.
Also be careful interpreting the run-off elections in TX-22 and LA-2 and the
contested election in FL-13.

If you want to verify the Associated Press numbers by perusing the Secretary
of State or Board of Elections websites, I've got an up-to-date list of
links here:

http://elections.gmu.edu/campaigns.htm

And here is a link to an analysis of undervotes in the contested FL-13
election (Walter Mebane has analyzed undervotes by race for this election
that perhaps he would share with the list):

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-mvote2206nov22,0,1913349
.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-state

Dr. Michael P. McDonald
Assistant Professor, George Mason University
Visiting Fellow, Brookings Institution

                          Mailing address:
(o) 703-993-4191          George Mason University
(f) 703-993-1399          Dept. of Public and International Affairs
[log in to unmask]            4400 University Drive - 3F4
http://elections.gmu.edu  Fairfax, VA 22030-4444