From:
Will Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 23:24:56 +0100
Interesting problem.  Here's a first take:

I guess a basic question is the nature of the missingness.  If the
village location for an event is missing completely at random then you
could simply leave those events out of the analysis, or impute them on
the basis of a model of the probability that a village experiences a
conflict event based on the events of known location.  If missing at
random then the latter model might be rather more complex, but the
modeling principle remains the same.  In either case thinking of a
partially observed indicator variable associated with each event
representing the village it occurred in might help formulating the
imputation problem and models for its solution.  These thoughts treat
the problem district by district.  Taking districts seriously adds
another predictor to the missingness model and may partially pool
parameters in the part of the model that predicts the relationship
between covariates and experiencing a conflict event.

In short, your 'multilevel setup' and 'imputation' intuitions seem
right to me.

Will