From:
Douglas Rivers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:11:50 -0700
I don't think this is correct.

First, as far as the hypotheses are concerned, they are equivalent since
b = 0 iff bp(1-p) = 0 (because 0 < p < 1). Thus, the only thing that can
differ between the tests is that one has more power than the other.

What you have are two (asymptotic) t-tests, where t_1 = \hat b/SD(\hat
b) and t_2 = \hat b \hat p (1 - \hat p) / SD(\hat b \hat p (1 - \hat
p)). I think, in practice, that the first will tend to be larger than
the second, though I couldn't determine whether the ratio t_1/t_2 is
always greater than one. However, I think a Rao-Blackwell argument
should show that the first is always better (since you're effectively
just adding some positively correlated noise to the estimate by
multiplying by \hat p (1 - \hat p). At least, that's my intuition.

Not a bad prelim question ;)

Doug