From:
Kosuke Imai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 09:22:16 -0500
There is a growing literature on direct and indirect effects Langche
mentions.  Robins and Greenland (1992), Pearl (2001), and Robins (2003)
are the key references in that literature, but there are many more that
came out in the last year or two.  It can be shown that under some (rather
strong!) assumptions you can identify indirect and direct effects by
conditioning on the post-treatment variable that lies on the causal path
between the treatment and the outcome variables.  This literature has a
direct connection with the social science literature on causal mediation
analysis (e.g., Baron and Kenny 1986), which is based on path analysis and
structural equation modeling.  Among political scientists, Adam Glynn
presented an interesting paper on this topic at the last year's polmeth.
Luke Keele, Teppei Yamamoto, and I have a working paper that proposes an
alternative identifying assumption and developes a new sensitivity
analysis.  It's available from my website if you are interested.

Best,
Kosuke

Kosuke Imai               Office: Corwin Hall 041
Assistant Professor       Phone: 609-258-6601
Department of Politics    eFax:  973-556-1929
Princeton University      Email: [log in to unmask]
Princeton, NJ 08544-1012  http://imai.princeton.edu/