From:
Cyrus Samii <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:20:28 -0500
Dear colleagues (apologies for any cross-postings),

We are conducting a meta-analysis-type review of studies on social
cohesion interventions in developing countries, with a particular
emphasis on programs in sub-Saharan Africa.

We call on researchers to provide references to relevant research that
they have done or with which they are familiar.  NB: We are interested
in references to both published AND unpublished research.

Social cohesion interventions include a variety of programs.  Some
examples are as follows:

-- Local participatory governance interventions that aim to organize
public goods provision.

-- Educational or media-based interventions that aim to promote
cooperation across polarized groups.

-- NGO programs that aim to assist in the reintegration of returned
displacees or combatants in communities with histories of polarization
or atomization.

-- Other interventions that aim to build social capital in developing countries.

The studies should include analysis of social cohesion outcomes
(either behavioral or attitudinal).  Studies can examine one
intervention/project or more.  We are particularly, but not solely,
interested in studies with experimental or quasi-experimental
delineation of treatment and control groups.

Please send references/citations to:

At this point, we are casting a wide net.  Criteria for inclusion in
the final review will be refined as we get a better sense of the types
of studies that have been conducted.

Many thanks,

Elisabeth King
Earth Institute and Dept of Political Science, Columbia University

Cyrus Samii
Dept of Political Science, Columbia University