From:
Holger Lutz Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2008 19:52:20 -0500
Carlos,

I would use the instrument for which the IV assumptions are the most
plausible. Moreover, overidentification tests are of limited usefulness
because failing to reject the null is not the same as confirming the
null. Moreover, they also assume that treatment effects are the same for
all units which is often not terribly plausible.

cheers,
Holger

Carlos Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Say I have two IVs but they are very highly correlated between
> themselves.  Is it still useful to use both to instrument for the same
> endogenous regressor and then run overidentification tests, or should
> I just choose one of them given to intrument for the endogenous
> regressor (given that the two IVs are so highly correlated...perhaps
> this causes problesms?)?
>
> Thank you
>
> Good evening,
> Carlos Rodriguez