From:
Luke Keele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:51:05 -0500
The best tests for this are those suggested by Rosenbaum in his reply
to the Angrist, Imbens and Rubin 1996 JASA.    He discusses this
further in his statistical science paper in 2002 and in JRSS A in 2005
with Guido Imbens and in more recent JASA papers.

He suggest using a nonparametric sensitivity test.  This allows you to
quantify how sensitive your estimate is to the exclusion restriction.
The nice thing about these tests is they provide correct coverage on
the estimate by causing the confidence interval on the IV estimate to
slide out possibly to infinity which can happen when the instrument is
weak.

Luke Keele
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Political Science